Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Apple Pie

The birthday socks are finally done, just in time to jump in the mail. I couldn't resist modeling them. This is before washing and blocking. I really like the way the pattern worked out, mainly because it fits really well and feels like it will stay up. I kind of made up on the fly (quite literally - I was on a airplane!),

Ribbed socks in Apple Pie yarn (Wool, silk, mohair, nylon blend), Blue Bayou colourway, 75 st on 2 mm dpns.

The beaded rib is a really simple little rib pattern I first saw in Sensational Knitted Socks (Glenna's copy - I still don't have my own!).


As I've mentioned before, the yarn is rather iritating because of the many splices which give a slubby effect. I just knit them in, since I didn't have scissors on the plane with me to repeatedly cut and re-join, and I probably wouldn't have had the patience after the first few anyway. It's on the thick side for sock yarn, which is the main reason I don't think I'd buy it again for socks. But it's incredibly soft and shiny, machine washable, and the colours are beautiful. I think it would be really nice for lace, and would make a gorgeous baby sweater (I'm thinking something like Devan maybe). I should also mention that it bled quite a bit of yellow dye while soaking, so beware when you wash this yarn!

This is my first time going down to 2 mm needles for socks, and even though it takes a little longer with so many stitches, I really do like the finer fabric texture. I'm a bit of a sucker for punishment if you haven't figured that out yet!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I think I'm starting to come around to your 2.25mm sock philosophy... I look now at the first pair I made, on 3mm, and think how much nicer they'd be for wearing if they were a tighter gauge. When I get on my next sock kick, it's a whole new world, baby!

I'm curious about how the Apple Laine socks will wear and wash - I've pondered that for a sweater (far off in the future), and it it's machine washable that might hit the spot.

11:49 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi M!

After a first soak and air-dry, the socks have a slight fuzzy halo from the mohair, but the yarn is still pretty shiny beacuse of the silk. I'll try to check up on these socks in future and see how they're wearing. They have a full range of solid colours available now too.

I don't believe in knitting socks in hand-wash only yarn. I have far better things to do with my time than handwashing socks - like knitting more socks!

1:41 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi Kelly, thanks for stopping by!
I think those socks are gorgeous! But about that yarn....are that many splices common for that particular yarn? I would think, especially for a sock yarn, the folks making it would watch out for that...it really is no fun at all, one, maybe two is enough to make me a little crazy..but it sounds like there were lots more in your skein. You surely have the patience of a saint.

5:44 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi Marianne.

No, Glenna says she's having the same problem, so I don't think it's isolated. It's got over a dozen splices per skein (I bought 2 skeins). Which I wouldn't mind so much in a bargain yarn, but this is on the pricier side.

5:50 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Have you thought of contacting the yarn makers? That really shouldn't 'be' especially a higher dollar yarn. It sounded like a bit of a pain in the....and I think the makers should know. It is gorgeous yarn.

8:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home