Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Three of three

Remember how I finally seamed up those three sweaters last week? Well I never did show you the third one. This is the little red cardigan, created as part of the Red Sweater Knit-Along. (The colour is truest on the first picture.)

Original design, in vintage Bear Brand Town 'n Country, 2 ply, DK weight, 100% wool (purchased from eBay, in the "big box of happiness"). Used almost 8 full balls (12 oz). Size 4 mm and 4.5 mm straight needles.


It turned out pretty baggy on me, but I knew from the start that this would be a learning expreience - it's my first sweater design. I'm going to put this one away for a gift (I know who it will fit just perfectly!), and try to eventually re-work the pattern to fit me better. Maybe even with waist shaping next time.

Aren't these the cutest buttons?

I discovered a great little fabric and button store downtown on Bank Street, and they had a wall of buttons to choose from (which given my indecisive nature, took me forever!). I really liked working with this wool too, not that I'm likely to ever find it again. It is soft and light, and blocks beautifully.

And here's a shot of the back, showing the bagginess:


After that frenzy of sweater finishing, I'm happy to be working on some smaller projects right now. The vest is coming along nicely in the little bit of knitting time I'm allowing myself these days. It's end-of-semester crunch time.

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend, everybody!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just lovely! The buttons are very pretty (where on Bank Street?!) It is nice to have the snow gone, but where have our nice spring temps got to?

3:45 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi Karin.

The new place is called Darrell Thomas Textiles, and it's near Nepean Street. http://darrellthomas.com/
I just happened to notice the new storefront as I was going by on a bus one day.

I'm okay with this weather - at least it's warm enough to get my bike out!

3:54 p.m.  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Hi Kelly: I like the sweater, but those buttons are something else! I want some.
I looked back in your blog and see you knit Sitcom Chic. I got some denim blue cotton on ebay and I am knitting Sitcom too. I love the look of the ribbon and will certainly do that. I am however, making long sleeves - I have lots and lots of yarn and I like long sleeves better. Nice to see that the snow has gone in Ottawa. How high are the tulips?

4:09 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Kelly, that sweater is beautiful, and those buttons??? fabulous! loves me some good buttons!

Thanks for the link!

6:44 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ooh I've missed so much on your blog lately. The sweaters are without exception fabulous - you must be feeling quite FO happy at the moment!

6:01 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Peg - I think Sitcom Chic would look really nice with long sleeves. I have been toying with the idea of knittig a second one myself. As for the tulips, that must be some west coast wishful thinking - we're due for more snow later this week! I haven't even seen a crocus yet!

Sarah - welcome back! I hope your trip was enjoyable. It certainly has been nice to clear out the WIP list and start some new things.

8:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lacey red cardigan is gorgeous. The buttons are really well suited.

9:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home