Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Now where did this come from?!

Perhaps the brown sweater was starting to get to me a little, perhaps it was because I left it out in a visible spot and passed by it many times a day, but I couldn't resist the colours of the handspun any longer. Fleece artist really knows what they're doing with dyes! Anyway, last night I ignored the cries of my many long-abandoned WIPs, balled up the skeins, and cast on yet another project.

Meet Argosy. I cast on last night during the news, and after a couple of hours this morning, suddenly I have a scarf. I had no idea this would be so quick.

The colours are a little more subdued than they look in the photo, but they blend really nicely. These are my favourite colours. I kind of ignored gauge altogether - hey, it's a scarf!. I swatched a little bit and decided to use 4.5 mm needles. (The pattern uses two different yarns and gauges, but the larger option is only knit on 4 mm.) It's a fun pattern to work up, and I think it will really improve with blocking. It's a little narrow, but this is supposed to be a warmer-weather, decorative scarf. I think I might like to adapt it to a wider version sometime, maybe in finer gauge silk. My dilemma right now is that I've almost run out of yarn. I'm trying to decide whether to finish it off as a perfectly respectable little tuck-in scarf, or to go looking for a third sliver of the fibre to spin more and make it longer. I think I like the idea of knitting it longer, but I'm probably more likely to wear it more as a short scarf with my spring jacket. Decisions, decisions.

The birthday sweater has not been forgotten, although my chances of getting it finished for February 8 are not looking good! This is the completed back and the start of the front. After the short scarf break, I'll be getting right back to it.



Unfortunately my teaching responsibilities have been cutting into my weekend knitting lately, as I get dumped with a large pile of grading every Friday. But, you know, it still beats cleaning the apartment! I hope everyone is enjoying some knitty relaxation this weekend.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hey fast worker - the jumper or should I say sweater looks great and I can't beieve how quickly you knit the beeyootifull Argosy.

5:40 a.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Argosy is sooo very pretty, I love the colours!
Birthday Sweater is beautiful!
Yes, you are one fast knitter! (what am I doing..sitting in dust....)

12:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, the Argosy looks great! I've been tempted to start one myself, but I can feel start-itis setting on too. Go,go B-day sweater, it looks like it'll really suit N.

6:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly, The birthday sweater looks beautiful! I like the results with your Argosy too, you're totally right, it's a scarf :)! You had asked about the yarn I used for Swallowtail. I used Elann's baby cashmere - it was heavenly!

7:55 p.m.  
Blogger Lis said...

Hey there Ottawa co-knitter! I just found your blog and am amazed I had not found it before now.

Your scarf is really very lovely!

12:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home