Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Cables are taking over my life

The cables are becoming a bit of an obsession lately. I finished the Merike gloves (post-blocking photos to come soon), am sewing up the cabled pillow cover, and somehow while watching the federal election results roll in (let's not even talk about that!), I cast on for a pair of Green Autumn mittens from the Fall 2008 Vogue Knitting.


Hopefully these will be another Christmas gift - if I don't decide to keep them for myself!

This is the first time that I've bought Vogue Knitting. I saw the mittens on Jared Flood's blog, and actively went hunting for the issue. It took me three trips to Chapters to finally track down a copy (and we only have one Chapters in the city!). There's one other pattern in there, a sweater, that I might consider knitting one day, but most of the stuff is just over the top.

But these mittens, wow. This is an intense pattern - fully charted luckily. Cabling on every row, a crazy slip-stitch pattern on the palm, and bobbles. Who doesn't love bobbles?! (Well, actually lots of people hate bobbles. But not me. I'm firmly entrenched in the pro-bobbles camp.)

In other news, I quit my job last week. And it was a good thing! I have landed a much better one, and am very excited to be moving on. The new job is going to be much more condusive to building a long career, and it's only one block from my house. Perfect. I'm taking a week off between jobs to relax a bit and do a few things around the house. Looking forward to it.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

More beautiful work, great news about the job - enjoy your week off :o)

2:22 a.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Heh, I did the same thing re: Vogue zine and those mittens! and really 'just got lucky' finding a copy.
That looks wonderful, your mitten, just beautiful.
Congratulations on your new job! Sounds like a winner all round!
Enjoy your week holiday!

10:17 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

I did the same thing too with the Vogue. I ended up with two copies. I bought one from Webs and another from a bookstore in Corner Brook. I also bought yarn for these, not realizing they are knit in a small gauged yarn. What yarn are you using?

4:47 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi Kelly. Thanks for stopping by. I'm actually using sock yarn - the very basic Patons Kroy 3-ply.

6:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did I miss this post? You got a new job AND you are knitting those fabulous mitts from VK. I have to admit those mitts are making me wish I paid more attention to VK.

I hope the new prospects are good!

10:41 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Sarah said about your blog so I popped over! Your cables are very lovely.

11:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home