Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Boring

Isn't it funny how knitting mimics life sometimes?

Case in point: a photo of my desk today:


I've been studying for months for a big exam tomorrow morning. It's the professional practice and ethics exam, which all candidate engineers and geoscientists in Canada have to pass to be considered professionals, as apparently, having a Ph.D. in geology does not qualify me, legally speaking, to call myself a geologist! Pretty dry stuff, most of which applies far more to the engineers than to the geoscientists. (There are far fewer of us, so we get lumped into the same process).

My post-gnome-invasion knitting is equally boring this week (refer to plain stockinette sock above). I have had a few false starts. I knit one Delicato mitt out of some sock yarn leftovers, and then when the suspicion that I was running out of yarn was confirmed by the digital scale, I frogged it. Then I tried starting a second JoJo sweater, but after trying several combinations of colours and patterns from the stash (one self-striping yarn that looked red in the ball was looking very pink knit up, totally unsuitable for the little boy I intended it for!), I couldn't find anything that worked together at all. So I stuck my hand in the sock yarn bin at random, pulled out a ball, and started these plain vanilla stripey socks. When all else fails, I usually revert to stripes.

I'm also knitting a sweater for my brother, which right now is just a big tube of unphotogenic grey stockinette - equally uninspiring blog material.

I'll have to work on getting something more intersting on the go, for fear of boring myself to death. Maybe when this exam is over, I'll be feeling a bit more creative. Then again, once the exam is over, I won't have to procrastinate so much on studying, so I'll probably slow down to my normally slow blogging rate again.

Wish me luck!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck with the exam, a plain sock is always a good fall back when you just need to knit and not think.

1:41 a.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Good luck with your exam.. this morning!
Socks, plain or not, always good.

7:57 a.m.  
Blogger gnomegarden said...

Best of luck Kelly! Are you on Ravelry?? If you are check out the gnomemakers board. If you aren't email me :) I think we come from the same pod... http://www.knitting-gnome.com/blog. ps. I am soon to be a hedgie parent too!

10:24 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home