Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Lace revisited

Not too much progress to show you today, as my WIPs aren't looking particularly photogenic. My swallowtail shawl is coming along nicely. Thanks to Leanne's helpful hints, I put in a lifeline after the main section (which luckily I haven't needed to use yet), and I have made it to the end of the first Lily-of-the-Valley border chart.


It is indeed slow going with all of those P5tog nupps, but I am liking the result so far. I am getting really excited to block this and see how it turns out. I've been getting better as it goes along, so there are going to be a few obvious mistakes further back. The yarn is a little splitty, which causes no end of fun in the intricate manoeuvres, but it is so soft and light that I can forgive it.

Hubby's sweater is also coming along. The first sleeve is done, and I have blocked and partially seamed/basted together what I have done so that he can try it on before I begin the second sleeve. If the sleeve is too short or something, I'd rather know it now before I duplicate the mistake! It looks like my yarn supply will hold out, and I should just about use up the ten skeins that I bought. I'm telling you, 1000 m of worsted weight on size 4.5 mm needles is an awful lot of sweater knitting! No wonder it has taken me so long.

I've just started the heel on the MIL socks, so it looks like I should get them done in time to mail them for her birthday. I guess I'm looking forward to clearing out the WIP list a little more in the near future so that I can get some new things under way. It feels good to be doing a little spring cleaning. I have at least one more sweater that has been sitting half-finished since last summer. I'll need to pull that out soon and decide whether to finish it or frog it.

I am finding that my wrist and elbow, which have been giving me much trouble with the huge amount of typing and mouse work that I've been doing lately, feel a lot better working with circular needles than straights these days. I know I won't attempt lace on straight needles again, because I can only work on it for short periods before I'm in pain. Concentrating on the intricate pattern makes me tense up even more than usual, which doesn't help. I am thinking about trying out the new Addi lace needles in future if I can get my hands on some, and expanding my collection of other circulars a bit too. It would probably be cheaper in the long run to spring for an interchangeable set, but I'll have to think about that for a bit.

That's my musing for today. And now back to geochemistry of sandstones. Sounds like fun, huh?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That lace is looking so pretty. Enlighten me as to why the purl togethers are called nupps though? I've seen that written a couple of places and it always makes me wonder!

5:00 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Your Swallowtail is looking GOOD! I've not reached that part of the pattern yet....I'm using Knitpicks circs and they're plenty pointy... well, I've not seen the Addi lace points and they may be a bit pointier but I'm really loving the Knitpicks.

You have so many projects going, I'm just amazed at all you accomplish!

7:30 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi folks.

Sarah, I don't know why they're called nupps. Basically, the big increase (5 stitiches in one) followed by a big decrease on the next row creates a dense little bump, similar to a "bobble". But why a "nupp" and not a cluster, or some other term, I have no idea.

Marianne, thanks for the tip (no pun intended!). I have been eyeing the Knitpicks needles for a while too. And I really shouldn't be getting as much done as I do. Knitting is a terrible procrastination tactic for me!

8:58 a.m.  
Blogger Natalie Servant said...

Your shawl is looking great - great colour too. I haven't managed a picture of mine yes but I'm finally past the nupps (phew) & into the last section of a pink version for my mother.

4:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the Swallowtail looks so pretty. It's guilting me about my paused Icarus, which is waiting for my 3.25 circs to be freed up so I can pick it back up again.

I can second the Knitpicks' needles rec. They're quite nice and smooth and light and the cord is very pliable. I hear you on the straights. Never again for me.

5:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home