Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Stich and Kitch

I wasn't planning to post today, since I haven't got a lot to show. My Swallowtail shawl is nearly done, but it just looks like a pile of unblocked lace. Hopefully I'll be able to share fun blocking photos soon.

But then I dropped into my neighbourhood thrift shop this afternoon. I love browsing the clothes there, and I usually find something fun every time I go. They have a great selection of books too. I've never found much in the crafts section before, but today I couldn't resist these two.


The Family Knits book is typical 80's style, complete with headbands and legwarmers. But some of the designs might be adaptable, and if nothing else, there are great Scandanavian colourwork charts.

But here's the real find. Royal Knits: Designer Kntting for the Monarchy and Monarchists, by Nicolette McGuire is a piece of work. It totally cracks me up. Besides the full royal uniform on the cover (and several other replica military uniforms), there are patterns for crown jewels:

(the crown doubles as a tea cozy!); "at home" outfits for the royals:


The "twinset" is a one piece sweater with fake cardigan fronts! Check out the corgi slippers! Even the pearls are knitted!; and of course, a complete royal breakfast:


(yes, the egg, bacon and sausage are all knit too!). There are also patterns for the "throne room" (toilet seat cover and floor mat), a sweater, cushion, collar, and booties for the royal corgi, several QEII-style hats, aNnd other treasures.

I can't imagine a use for any of this, but oh my gosh, is it ever hilarious! I will treasure this one in my collection forever.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I think my mom has that exact same Royal Knits book. It is glorious.

Can't wait to see the Swallowtail blocking. Am curious how much it'll grow in the process.

12:09 a.m.  
Blogger Glenna C said...

OH MY GOD. My mom used to have that Royal book but she was cleaning out the knitting books a couple of years ago adn I think that was one to go. Now I wish I'd saved it! such carefully designed ugly...

And awesome socks, too, btw, I'll have to look back for that beaded rib pattern!

9:12 a.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Definitely a score on the Royal Knits, I wouldn't have been able to pass it up either! (those slippers!)

Really looking forward to seeing Swallowtail blocked, that is such a pretty shade of blue.

12:12 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is the funniest knitting book I've ever seen - is it wrong that I really want a crown tea cosy? Great find.

1:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home