Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Sock Saturday

First off, the Yarn Harlot was fantastic. She's even funnier in person. The LYS that hosted the event was packed, so we had to sit on the floor up front (right under her nose). The friend who came along with me said she hasn't laughed so hard in a long time, and that it almost makes her want to knit - maybe if she wasn't so busy running marathons, teaching music, and oh, working on a Ph.D. in her spare time! She was amazed at the fun, cackling group of knitters that had gathered. Anyway, Stephanie was great. And she wore the famous wedding shawl! I got my copy of Knitting Rules signed, but I'm afraid I was a little lost for something to say, so I just kind of grinned stupidly and got out of the way of the very long line behind me. And for once in my life, I got out of a yarn shop without buying a single thing (there was a long line at the cash as well, and since our tummies were growling, and they didn't have the Needful Yarns that I've been trying to track down, we left to go out for dinner instead of browsing).

I finished the first Fair Isle sock last night:


(Hmm, for some reason I can't get this photo to rotate for me, despite rotating it in Corel PhotoPaint and saving it. Oh, well, you get the idea). I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The fit is pretty roomy in the foot, but the tighter top should help it stay up. I'll get to the other one after Christmas. So then I cast on for Jaywalker Socks with Super Soxx. By early this afternoon, it looked like this:


And now I've gone and frogged the whole thing! Why? Well, for starters, it won't fit over my heel! I thought that a 76-stitch sock would be more than big enough (the fair isle's are only 72). But since the stiches are zig-zagging on the bias, the whole sock gets contracted quite a bit. Also, I don't like the way the beige shades are all concentrated at the top. It looks like I've used a completely different yarn for the ribbing. So I've cast on again, shifting my starting point in the colourway down a bit, and I'm trying out the 84-stitch larger size. I'll try to knit a little looser. I hope this will work out better, but I will certainly try it on again after a few inches. The intended recipient of these has pretty average feet like mine, so if they fit me, they should fit her. I guess I can always go up a needle size if all else fails - I do love my tiny needles though.

And now my sore wrist is screaming at me, so I believe it's time to stop for the day. Besides, the apartment is in desperate need of a cleaning. Ah, Saturdays!


3 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

The Harlot reading sounds like it was an awesome time! Wish I could have joined in with you.

My kool aid jaywalkers are also turning out an idge too slim, so they will be gifts. I was skeptical too with the 76 sts, but I think the biasing of the pattern is not to be underestimated. Pair #2 will definitely be bigger and for ME!

12:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*waves* Hi K! I saw your blog from G's page and had to come have a looksee. You are a knitting fiend, man. Those fair isle socks are just gorgeous. I love all the classic yarns you found on eBay.

Your hedgehog needs to make a guest appearance with your knitting some day. :D Looking forward to reading more!

2:03 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi Martha! Great to hear from you. Molly is primping and getting her nails done for an upcoming photo shoot. Hedgehog guest appearance in the near future, I promise!

4:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home