Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

A new era begins

Well. It's been an exciting couple of weeks. I don't think I'm going to re-hash all of the details here. Suffice to say that the move went well, the new job seems interesting even if I'm still settling in there, and life is pretty rosy right now. The flight, for once, was relatively uneventful, and even though little Molly the hedgehog had to travel beneath us in the belly of the plane (silly airline restrictions!), she seems to have fared well too. We lived through the tail end of a tropical storm that wreaked havoc on eastern Newfoundland last week, causing major flooding in some communities. Luckily, other than a little water in the basement and a bit of a treacherous drive to work, we weren't too adversely affected. Living in Newfoundland, you kind of get used to whatever Mother Nature can throw at you.

Here's a shot of half of our belongings sprawled across the parking lot of our apartment building in Ottawa. This is the first time I've hired professional movers, and it was a really nice experience. It was very pleasant to sit back with a cup of coffee and watch them load everything.



The first thing that we had to do in St. John's was to buy a car. Unfortunately, this city does not have a good transit system, and we really couldn't manage without one. It was as first-time experience for us, as we had been happily living car-free in Ontario for many years.

Here's the cute new Suzuki Swift, posing in front of Conception Bay, just steps away from Nick's parents' driveway. That's Kelly's Island in the background - not named after me though!

In amongst all of the craziness, there has still been some knitting happening, especially in airports and planes. I have started some new socks, and finished that little top that I was designing:


It obviously still needs a good washing and blocking, so I'll get a real FO action shot of it when that's done. I plan to write up a free pattern for this eventually, although I can't promise that it will be very soon. My life seems to have gotten very busy now all of a sudden. It could really be a while before things are back to "normal" for me and the blog.

But for now, it's off to my parents' for Sunday lunch.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks great, Kel! Count me in for the free pattern. :D

I hear you on the professional movers. I'm looking at all our boxes and would dearly love someone else to do it for me. Maybe next time.

Hi to Nick and Molly! Glad you guys are settling in well.

1:02 p.m.  
Blogger Glenna C said...

I'm glad you guys are settled, wow, look at you with your snazzy new car!

I look forward to being on the better end of all of this life chaos soon. ::clings to knitting::

1:23 p.m.  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

I am so happy you arrived in Nfld. safe and sound. The car is the beautiful blue of the Atlantic. Please, once settled I want that pattern. That is a beautiful top and you did a wonderful job.
I can remember looking at the moving van and our car and thinking that everything we owned was either in the truck or the car!
I am sure your families are thrilled to have you back!

3:52 p.m.  
Blogger Leanne said...

Ottawa just hasn't been the same since you left. I hope you can find some fun people to knit with (and shop with!) in St. John's!

5:08 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

So good to hear from you, that you're there, safe and sound, give little Molly whatever it is she likes, nuzzles?
What a beautiful top, Kelly, you really are such a clever woman.
Happy settling...we're still unpacking boxes... :^)

10:33 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Glad you made it safe and happy, hope Molly is liking her new home. Great work on the top.

2:13 p.m.  
Blogger Zia said...

Good to hear you are settling in ok in your new surroundings.
Your top looks just darling too. :)

9:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,

( I posted in another spot - but I wanted to be sure you saw this - so I decided to post again)...
I am a volunteer at Warm Woolies. I opened your package the other day. There were 3 volunteers to see what you had sent. The letter you included had all of us in tears. We will make sure the
at the items get sent where you asked.

Your vests were great and the baby blanket was wonderful.


Thank you for knitting for Warm Woolies.
We can now add another knitter to our growing family of knitters from around the world.

I have been to Nfld 2 times from Colorado and we love it. The icebergs and puffins are my favorite. Enjoy and keep in touch with us.

Ann at Warm Woolies.

11:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to "hear" from you again! Great work on the sweater - cool car! :)

7:07 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,

It's Ann again from Warm Woolies. Today when I went over to do my volunteer work there was another package from you and that wonderful blanket was there. It is fantastic. I took a couple of pictures of our volunteers holding it. If you tell me where I could send it to you it would be great.

Thank you again.. Ann at Warm Woolies.

12:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home