Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Recent Aquisitions

I haven't been knitting too much lately, but I've been spending a lot of time at the office. There's no better therapy for a stressed-out graduate student than a little (or a lot of) yarn shopping. I've kind of gone crazy with it lately, but as I mentioned before, there was a big going-out-of-business sale to contend with (all 50% off), and I'm starting to feel the need to stash yarn because I know I won't be able to get it easily after I move next month. St. John's only has one LYS, and while it's fairly well stocked with a variety of fun yarn, they can't possibly carry everything! Luckily I'll still be traveling to Toronto a few times a year, so I can still frequent places like Romni on occasion.

Okay, enough blathering. On to the yarn!


8 balls of Zitron Polo, which is a 60% cotton, 40% acrylic blend, with really soft feel, almost like those fake suede fabrics. For some sort of sumer top.


8 balls of Stahl Natura, 70% cotton 30% linen, also probably for a summery top. I wish I could have found 8 balls of one colour, but selection was getting pretty slim at The Knitting Centre by the time I got there.


10 balls of Merino Blend DK Superwash, 100% wool, by King Cole. I'm probably going to put this away for a sweater in the fall.


Sock yarn: Supersoxx cotton/wool blend (I loved the wool, so thought I'd try this for something new) and good old Regia 4-ply, one of my favourite basic sock yarns.


And from the recent Knit Picks group order, a pile of Essential sock yarn (I'm thinking green knee socks), and a pile of Swish Superwash for kids' sweaters, something along the lines of the Accordion jacket from Knitty (this is just a selection from a big bag of it!).

Crazy, huh? Even though I was trying to reduce my stash, think I just doubled it in the span of a week! I don't feel bad about it though, because the difference is that I've bought it in sufficient quantities to actually do something with it, instead of two or three balls of something pretty here and there with no purpose in mind. I consider it an investment in my future knitting through the summer and fall. It's also the first Knit Picks yarn for me, so there's a certain amount of research here, to see how I like it. Mail order is probably going to become important to me in future.

Tomorrow is Canada Day, and I still haven't decided if I'm going to brave the crowds on Parliament Hill tomorrow for one last big celebration in the capital. I may sit at home on the couch and knit and watch it all on tv. We get a good view of the fireworks from our balcony. Enjoy the weekend, whatever you're doing!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Happy Canada Day to you from Vancouver Island!
Wow! I am impressed and the worst thing that can happen to a knitter is not to have some yarn in the stash. I have to go out this morning to my LYS and get another ball of cotton that I am using for an Elizabeth Zimmerman Baby Surprise Jacket. This has been a great knit, and there is lots in your stash, if you ever want to give it a try!
I notice the lack of handpainted yarn - are you tiring of it like I am?

12:30 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

What a lovely lot on the enhancement! I'm knitting some mansocks right now with the KP Essential, Dusk, I really like that Essential yarn for socks!
I love that green and also all the Swish colours you have.
A very Happy Canada Day to you!!

12:42 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well surely the only reason to reduce stash is to make way for new yarn? Looking forward to seeing the items emerge.

12:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home