Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

No Smurfs were harmed in the making of these socks

I had to do a little travelling this week. Nothing major, just a couple of short trips. I needed something small and portable to keep me busy, but the idea of trying to concentrate on the Bayerische socks on a train was not really appealing to me. (A good call, as it turns out, because I ended up sitting across from a bunch of loud and obnoxious people, and at times couldn't even hear the details of a podcast on my earphones over the racket!) So what did I do to try to take a break from tiny cables? Start another sock with tiny cables!


To be honest, I took along a ball of yarn, a few different patterns, and my recently obtained copy of Sensational Knitted Socks (finally, it is mine!), and took my time deciding. I ended up starting in on Brigit (link to pdf), a pattern from the Socktopia site (go take a look, there are several free patterns there. Click the "SE Patterns" link on the right.)

While the tiny cables may be similar to Bayerishe, there's a lot less cabling overall, and only one cable motif which I memorized pretty easily. My one critique of the pattern is that I would have preferred a chart to the written cable instructions. The instructions are very clear though, and the pattern, written for two circular needles, is easily adapted to dpns.


The yarn, Lana Grossa's Meilenweit sock yarn (80% new wool, 20% Polyamide) is a new one for me. I'd say it's pretty average sock yarn. It doesn't split badly, and is priced pretty reasonably, but it's a bit fuzzy, sort of like Lang Jawoll. This particular shade (1329) is very bright blue (I've been referring the sock as "Smurfy cables", as opposed to "Insanity cables", my pet name for the B socks). The excess dye appears to be turning my hands blue!


I'm going to have to be very careful about washing these socks! Do you suppose my feet will be blue too?

In other news, I have been aquiring new yarn at an alarming rate this week. My knitting group made a big combined order to Knit Picks, and I finally made it to The Knitting Centre downtown, which is going out of business after many years, and is currently selling everything at 50% off. For those of you in Ottawa, they plan to close at the end of July, but there's still some good stuff there including Regia sock yarns at less than $3 a ball. Unfortunately the circular needles are all gone now. And don't forget, it's an old fashioned cash-only operation. I'm considering one last trip there today... I'm awfully glad that I didn't officially join the Knit From Stash Challenge. I can take advantage of a great bargain without any guilt!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Heh, Smurfy toes....

I love the Brigit pattern, I found it a couple of weeks ago..definitely on the list..
Yours are so very pretty!
Although I AM on a knit from my stash 'diet' I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times due to closing out sales but in my defense nearly everything I did purchase will go towards the charity knitting and I call that definitely guilt free! (certainly able to get more to give more)

Looking forward to all the stash enhancement!

12:36 p.m.  
Blogger AB&AB said...

Hi Kelly, saw your comment on the afghans for Afghans campaign in Ottawa. Thanks so much for your support! I know I'm being gutsy but I love your blog. Would you consider posting a promotion of our event on your site? I could send you a flyer. My email is anita.barewal@rogers.com. Any advice you have on making contact with Ottawa knitters would also be greatly appreciated!

Anita

1:55 p.m.  
Blogger J. said...

hey there,

the socks look great, if you get blue toes it will be a good story. I noticed Anita's comment the other half of the AB pair is a good friend of mine. Are you on the yahoo list??? I can't remember - let me know as we (I) are having a dye party in August - the details will be posted there.

2:13 p.m.  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Nice looking sock! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will write more about the cheese I made when we have had a change to eat it a few different ways!

4:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home