Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Inspired by the sun

The wonderful, summer-like weather that we have been enjoying in Ottawa this week has got me thinking about summer knits. The time had come to break out the cotton I had stashed for a summer tank top.


This is the start of Soleil from Knitty.com. For once in my life, I'm actually using the yarn that the pattern is written for: Elann.com Sonata, in Lilac. It's actually on the pinker side of purple despite the very blue shade in the photo above. I haven't done a lot of knitting with cotton, other than dishcloths and some cotton-acrylic blends. It is a bit hard on the hands and wrists, as I've often heard. However the knitted fabric seems softer than the yarn in the skein. I suspect it will soften up even more with washing. I hope it fits, because I think I'm really going to like this top.

I also started a new sock yesterday. Marianne asked recently about the Bayerishe socks. In the interest of full disclosure, just after the last time you saw them, I made a huge mistake. I missed three out of four cable crosses in one round, and then continued for several rounds before I noticed the mistake. I can't fathom the idea of taking that crazy sock off the needles and ripping back - too many tiny twisted stitches to deal with! So I'm going to have to tediously tink back row by row. As I'm sure you can imagine, we needed a little time apart to get over this little inconvenience. I will get back to it as soon as I have the patience to deal with fixing it. In the meantime, I thought I would make my dad some socks for Father's Day.
The yarn in Meilenweit Mega Boots Stretch, which is a wool, polyamide, elite (elastic) blend with subtle colour shifts. This was the most "manly" colourway I could find at my LYS. I don't usually knit stockinette socks - I feel that ribbing helps them stay up better. This is a bit of an experiment to see how the elastic affects the knitted fabric. So far so good - although it's a bit slow. I'm knitting 78 st on 2.25 mm needles. I could have gone with bigger needles, I know, but the yarn is actually pretty fine when stretched out. Definitely finer that the Lorna's Laces that I just finished knitting. So to make a nice durable fabric, I kind of felt like it needed to be small. Next time I knit men's socks, I think I'll use DK yarn!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Oh yeah, the Mansocks on tiny needles....been there, and will be again no doubt, heh. The is gorgeous yarn!
Oh, the B socks...well if it's any consolation I would've ended up tinking back one stitch at a time to get 'back', I am a complete klutz on ripping back to a certain point and getting those live stitches back on the needles....a complete klutz.

Soleil....beautiful!

1:24 p.m.  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Love the colour of the sock yarn.
The pattern on the bottom of Soleil looks exactly like the pattern I knit on the Wool Seller's Shawl by Cheryl Oberle - very pretty!
I know what you mean about cotton, but I still love it - also sewing seams and weaving in ends is not as easy in cotton as it is in wool!

6:11 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Marianne, I've been knitting away on the mansocks today, and it turns out that the speed of stockinette is sort of making up for the tiny needles. So not as bad as I had feared :)

Peg, I think I've seen the same lace pattern in a few different places. I think it will look even better once it's blocked. Sewing seams in cotton is terrible - that's why I'm glad this pattern is seamless!

6:20 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ooh lovely things as ever. So sorry to hear about your other socks - hope it works out okay when they are allowed out of the naughty corner.

1:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Stucco Contractors Dearborn said...

Great post thanks.

7:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home