Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

This post is brought to you by pink SRK yarn

I just recently realized that I'm only knitting with Kertzer (SRK) yarns at the moment. Strange coincidence since I've never tried them before. First, the bramble leaf lace scarf you've seen before:

It's pretty fuzzy, but mohair is hard to photograph in low light. It's just a big ball of fuzz right now. Incredibly soft fuzz, but still. This is SRK Collection Ovation in the Purple Haze colourway (discontinued). I'm well into the second ball now, but luckily I managed to find a supplier, in Ontario no less, who still had some in stock. The fine folks over at Knitters Attic have set me up with another ball, which should get me a respectable length of scarf. I intend to knit some kind of edging at least on the ends, but I haven't yet decided what one. Hopefully Knitting on the Edge will come in handy here.

Also this week, I finally started Lola:


The yarn is James Brett Marble, also by SRK, in Berries. I like the sort of gradual striping effect, but the colour somehow looks a lot brighter knit up than it does in the ball. But that's okay, I could probably use some brighter colours in my wardrobe. The back knit up fairly quickly, but then I set it aside to think a bit. I'm knitting the smallest size, which is going to be pretty clingy on me. I'm trying to get over my irrational need to make everything bigger "just in case", and ending up with baggy sweaters. The ribbed fabric is really stretchy, so I think it will look okay, and end up as the kind of sweater fit I typically go for in a store-bought garment.

Warning: mindless rambling ahead.
T
he problem is, I'm not going to have enough yarn for the long sleeves that I had planned - I thought that 4 X 100g of DK would be plenty, but I've used almost 1.5 balls on the back. Since this is a stash project (and acrylic at that), I don't really want to buy any more. I could manage cap sleeves, but then would I wear a short sleeve acrylic pullover? I don't know.... I've considered converting it to a cardigan, as I do wear short-sleeve cardis in the summer but since it's going to be stretchy and on the tighter side, then I wondered if buttons might pull it out of shape and look rather funny unless I used a lot of buttons... There's always a zipper I suppose but then I think I would want a different neck stlye.... I don't know. I'm kind of at a loss right now. So it's back to the lace knitting for a bit while I ponder the possibilities. Your suggestions would be most welcome.

It's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster of a week. I spent yesterday showing family friends around town, which was very fun - but they're in town for heart surgery for a six year old next week (who by the way, loved her new teddy bear). We're hoping for the very best for their family. And now we've had some really scarey news about the health of a family member back home, and Nick and I are worried sick. At least lace knitting is good for taking your mind off of things. I can't say the same for school work though! As my friend ms. m has pointed out, the thesis is my biggest WIP right now, and the sooner I can get it done, the sooner I can get on with my life. It's just hard to stay focused sometimes with so much on your mind.

Thank you for the kind comments about my finished vest. It fits very nicely, and I have already worn it a couple of times. It was fun to knit and I should get a lot of use out of it.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Oh my, you really do have a lot going on! Sending my very best to the 6 year old for the upcoming heart surgery, so glad to hear she loves her bear.
I also hope everything works out alright for your family member back home, I do understand what a fretful time you're having.
The scarf is beautiful, love the colours.
Hmmmm, another vest for the WIP? to wear over more form fitting Tshirts.. that could be long, 3/4 or shorter sleeves...?
(thank you on behalf of Avery)

9:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, lace knitting can take your mind off lots of stuff. Sorry to hear you have lots of stuff going on. I hope things calm down for you soon so you can turn that thesis into an FO!

6:46 a.m.  
Blogger Glenna C said...

I hope that the surgery goes well!
I think the bear is a great gift.

That lace sure does look lovely - next time we converge I will have to pore over your lace patterns too and get an idea of things I could make :)

7:52 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hoping that everything works out and that the knitting helps you through tough times.

I really like the Lola pattern, not seen that one before. I get a lot of use out of three quarter sleeved jumpers - think you'd have enough to squeak those out? Alternatively any plain co-ordinating yarn in your stash you could do the sleeves in?

1:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home