Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

rip, rip, rip

I'm not sure how I managed this one.

I swatched for my vest on 3.75 mm needles. I washed and dried the swatch. I did another bigger one, with the twisted ribbing included. I was happy with the fabric produced, and sat down to figure out the math and draw up a rough pattern. I cast on. I thought perhaps the gauge was looking a little loose, but somehow I managed to ignore it, thinking the yarn would "plump up" in the blocking to look just like the swatch. Absolute denial.

I was getting close to spliting for the arm holes yesterday, so I decided to join the longest two cables in my set (I love having cable connectors!), and tried it on. It was miles too big. The vest that I had designed to be form-fitting was hanging off me. Interesting. It didn't take long to figure out that somehow, I had been knitting on 4.5 mm needles.

Sigh.


Nothing to do but start over.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh no, Kel, I feel your pain. Here's courage for the re-knitting.

3:55 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Aaaaargh!

Well.....it's a good thing you like to knit,eh?
I'm with Ms.M with the courage for the re-knitting.

Have a great weekend.

8:21 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh bad luck, but the speed you go you'll soon be caught up!

Great news on the thesis, hope the knitting keeps on helping you relax and gets you through it all.

The French Market Bag from your previous post looks really great, am excited to see how the felting works but as you say it's lovely as it is.

Enjoyed the Salzburg trip very much thank you but am glad to be home, making the most of it as I'm off again next Sunday. Getting to travel is a lovely perk but for a homebody like me I'm always happy to be back.

2:37 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks for the encouragement, folks. It is indeed a good thing that I like knitting, Marianne. It's actually looking a lot better this time around.

7:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home