Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Sock acrobatics

I have finished the knitting and crochet edging on the Soleil tank top, but I want to wash and block it before I show it off. The Sonata cotton is nice, but it has a distinct chemical smell. I'm hoping a run through the wash will soften it up and rinse the scent out. So stay tuned for FO photos soon.

In the meantime, I gritted my teeth and tinked back a few rows to ressurect my Bayerische sock. Boy, I'm glad my eyesight is really good, because untwisting these tiny cables was quite a challenge. I may have uttered a few un-ladylike phrases in the process and threatened it with a pair of scissors. The sock and I both seem to have recovered from the whole experience now and are getting along alright once again.

I tried to take some photos this morning, and though I already knew how hard it is to get a good angle when photographing your own feet, the acrobatics of trying not to stab yourself while you wrestle five needles onto your foot was a whole new experience. So this is why lots of people prefer socks on circulars! Here are the best out of a bunch of blurry photos:

Side view.

Top view, with a flash (colour is close to true).

With only half as much cabling as the leg, the foot should zip along quickly. I am really enjoying the challenge of this pattern. If you are considering it, I would suggest a smooth, tightly spun yarn like Lorna's Laces. The Regia I'm using is nice but it's a little fuzzy, so it obscures the look of the cables a bit, and it does have a tendancy to split sometimes when executing the twists and cables. I also wish my needles were a little pointier.

Off to the office for my Saturday afternoon routine of thesis revisions and watching the campus groundhogs frolicking outside my window.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Goodness...pure goodness, that sock is beautiful!

1:45 p.m.  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Love the sock colour and pattern! Must cast on for some socks soon!

5:38 p.m.  
Blogger Martina said...

Love the socks! Very good acrobatics!

6:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home