Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Perspective

I went out to watch the National Capital Marathon on Sunday morning. My good friend D was running this, her third marathon in three years. After the first hour or so, it started to rain. Serious marthon spectating involves precision timing, driving around town for a few hours chasing the runners to a few different vantage points, finding parking, jumping out, waiting to catch sight of the person you're cheering amidst the thousands, hooting and hollering enthusiastic words of encouragement, and then heading back to the car to race to the next spot.

(Around km 25)

It was chilly and very wet, but somehow it didn't feel as bad as it normally would, because I was continually in awe of the insanity of thousands of people putting themselves through a 42-km run, in the cold and the rain. Many of them were unable to walk the next day, and are currently waiting for their bruised toenails to fall off. It's something I'll never experience - I am caught between admiration and just shaking my head wondering why anyone would do this for fun.

As for me, I'm doing a little travelling over the next few days. I'm taking the mansock out to see the Prairies, and we'll be spending the weekend in Regina. Let's hope he's got a twin by the time we head home.


See you next week.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Oh, I'm so with you on all that running...it has to do with the endorphin releasing into their system and er, ahem...feeling 'good'. I did run quite a lot as a child and I also ran in highschool but not as part of the track team,...hmmm. I DID enjoy that running, but hey, that's probably what shot the knees too.

Sock looking dandy, have a great time on the plains.

12:07 p.m.  
Blogger Zia said...

Hi Kelly.. thanks so much for your sweet comment. :) Truth is that it was easy to make at the beginning, but when I got to the part where I had to attach the edging and then join the work - it got very complicated, to say the least! But there is a good chance I will knit it again in the near future (maybe slightly different) and I will try and write out a pattern for it, as complicated as it is!
:)

4:43 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hope you and the socks had good travels.

5:56 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home