Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

This just might work...

Keeping up the trend of ignoring my well-intentioned list and going wherever my next whim takes me, I decided to break out some really nice yarn that I had been saving. I bought myself a little graduation gift when I was in Ottawa - 12 skeins of Silana by Lana Grossa in a pale blue. It's a beautiful DK merino-silk blend, soft like kittens. This is definitely the nicest yarn that I have ever had in such quantity - I usually just buy a skein or two of something lovely, and then I never know what to do with it! It was deeply discounted (possibly discontinued?), but still a splurge by my standards.

Feeling marginally better today, I've been doing some swatching. I think that I have decided on a pattern: the Gatsby Girl pullover from the Fall 2006 IK.


With more than enough casual wear it my closet, I've been looking to knit something nice enough to wear to work. I think this will fit the bill nicely.

My only hesitation is in trying to decide on a size. Every one of my measurements falls exactly in between two sizes on this pattern, and it recommends an exact fit for zero ease. I don't really feel like tweaking the pattern, so I can't decide whether to go for the size that's an inch smaller, or play it safe and go an inch bigger. Since I usually err on the side of too big and end up disappointed, I'll probably try the smaller size. I like my clothes fairly fitted, so it shouldn't be a problem. But why then is it so hard to take the risk?!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this issue too with sizing, I'm always in between! This is confusing me too about another IK pattern I have my eye on, one of the summer tops. Do I end up with slightly baggy around the shoulders or a snug fit? Good luck with yours, it looks like a snappy pullover.

10:06 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

I LOVE that sweater!

I hear you on not wanting to have to tweak, but... an inch? DK, 5 stitches? that said, I DO understand, just let me follow a pattern, simply :^)
I also have this issue with sizing as I seem to fall 'in between' and I read about this on so many blogs...

Thank you for stopping by with the BD wishes :^)

10:07 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yey for whimsy!

Yey for that great yarn and pattern too!

1:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

w00T ! that's going to be lovely! I'm certain you're going to enjoy knitting every little stitch!
~ betseydoodle

4:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home