Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Monday, December 03, 2007

FOs and the start of the tour

Ah, it feels good to finish something. Especially when it feels as though the unpacking and organizing of the new house will never end. A couple of little FO's to show today.

Here's the Swallowtail shawl, finally blocked and dried, and looking lovely if I do say so myself. I'm very happy with how this turned out.


And, at long last, I have finished the Tofutsies socks.

Ribby cable socks (my own design) in Tofutsies. 72 st on 2 mm needles.


I have been dragging these around with me since the summer, mostly as commuting knitting. Squeezed in between other projects, they seemed to drag on forever. The ribbing is K4 P2 cable2 P2, although the detail of it is rather obscured by the striping.


I can't say I'm particularly fond of this yarn. I heard good things about it, so I tried it when it became available at my LYS. To me, it's not much different from cotton, and I am not a fan of cotton socks. It's also fairly dense, and not very stretchy, so I think the socks would pool around my ankles after a couple of hours. These are going to be a Christmas gift for someone with slightly skinnier calves who I think will get a kick out of the colours.

In other business, I promised you a tour of the house. There still aren't many parts of it that are fit to be photographed. We have open and emptied most of the cardboard boxes at this point, but there is still a lot of clutter sitting around, each item waiting to be given its designated place. And we certainly haven't gotten around to details like hanging up the artwork. So, if you'll excuse the clutter, I'll show you my office:


Here's the part I know you'll love.... built-in yarn storage!


Have I mentioned that I love this place?

Now, I hope you'll bear with me for another couple of weeks of scarce postings. I'm off to Ottawa next week for my Ph.D. defense, and that means I have a presentation to prepare, studying to do, and general nervousness and self doubt to get over. Moreso than wanting to do well, I just want to get this over with and never have to think about it ever again. Wish me luck!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck for your defense!! *dumps all advice she's ever heard* It's the time for you to finally talk about all that stuff you wrote except no one's asked you before. And also? It will be the last time you'll ever have to think about it. The light is totally at the end of the tunnel. In fact the tunnel is behind you and you can now smell fresh air and feel fresh sunlight. Rock that puppy!

10:41 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Swallowtail is such a little Beauty! Love the colours.
LOVE your office! the woodwork, the floors, the wall colour, the STORAGE!!! oh yeah!
(I still have boxes.. not unpacked)

10:41 p.m.  
Blogger Leanne said...

Good luck on the thesis defence! Oh, and while you're in Ottawa, Wool n Things is having a 20% off sale. Just sayin.

5:13 p.m.  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

I have a Swallowtail almost completed!
Beautiful shawl!
I am wishing you luck from the Island on the other side of our country!

9:12 p.m.  
Blogger Knit My Grits said...

I too, have been knitting a pair of Tofutsies socks in pink & lavender for my neice. I really don't like the yarn at all. It untwists fairly regularily and I have shoved my needle between the two strands more than once leaving little loops outside the sock. I more than likely will not purchase this yarn again.

8:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home