Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Off across the pond.

Well, that didn't take long. I'm off on my first business trip to the UK tomorrow, on rather short notice. Ordinarily, I'd be very excited, but I just have so much to do right now! Hopefully I'll get a bit of free time in the evenings to catch up on the non-work commitments that I've been neglecting a bit lately.

I'd love to hear if anyone has suggestions for a good yarn shop in Manchester though. (Sarah?) Surely I can make time for a little souvenier yarn!

Before I get off to start packing, here's a quick update on what I've been working on lately:


My Mystery Stole, at the end of Clue 4. I've decided to be an old stick in the mud and to make a more traditional symmetrical stole - the original pattern is a bit more, um, artistic than something that I'm likely to wear. I'm opting for the alternate instructions which means I have to knit another whole piece like this, and then join them via a knitted panel in the centre. I've already started on the other half. I'm really enjoying knitting it. The beads are a bit irritating to work with, but I think the effect is worth it. I have resigned myself to the fact that this is going to be a long-term project, to be worked on when I have time to fully concentrate on it. I'm not going to hurry it.

And, as always, there is a pair of socks on the needles. This is the first one completed.


The yarn is Tofutsies, which I picked up at Yarn Forward in Ottawa just before I left. I like the way the striping works out on these, but I'm still not sure if I'll keep them for myself. I'm not a huge fan of cotton in my socks, but this blend is a little different from what you usually find.

These will be traveling with me next week, and I will probably bring along my gorgeous skein of Collinette Jitterbug as a back-up in case I finish this pair. I haven't managed to dig out the Jitterbug to photograph it yet, but the colours just take my breath away. So pretty.

One advantage of being so busy and frazzled lately is that I haven't been feeling the need to start any new projects. I steal a few moments to work on my WIPs when I can, but I don't have the free time to browse patterns and daydream about yarn purchases like I used to. My new Interweave Knits came in the mail this week though, and I have flagged the Tangled Yoke Cardigan and the
Mirepoix Bodice for future knitting, probably substituting Knit Picks yarn for the latter. I am impressed with this issue, much more so than the last couple.

I'm not likely to be updating from the road next week, but I'll try to take some good photos of my travels to share when I return. 'Til next time!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Leanne said...

Have a great trip! The tofutsie sock knit up really nicely - my jitterbug socks are almost finished, so I'll be showing them off soon.

2:22 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hooray for Jitterbug, I agree with you on the colourways of that.

Exciting news about your trip to Manchester - work stuff always pops up at the most inconvenient times! Sorry but I don't know of any great yarn stores there I tried the Angel Yarns forum but they didn't mention any in Manchester itself.

Love the mystery stole.

1:51 a.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Your sock is very pretty! As is the shawl...and I'm thinking I would do the same as you're doing with the pattern...

Have a great and safe journey across the pond to Manchester, I hope you find a yarn store!!!

7:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Manchester! Hope you enjoy! I was there for a conference at the end of June. Definitely check out the Manchester Museum or the Museum of Science & Industry if you get a chance. Or Indian food on Oxford Road (a.k.a. "The Curry Mile.) Have a great trip and hope you can settle in to the rest soon.

11:52 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Martha - I had curry tonight. Yum! Will try to check out a museum on the weekend if I have time. I wish my pictures would turn out as well as yours!

5:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hows the knitting going "across the pond"? Are you getting any work done on the thesis?

7:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home