Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Checking in

Wow, time has certainly been flying these last few weeks. There has not been much knitting - just a little progress on the Tofutsies socks while flying. That's right, I'm happy to report that while being the most confusing and least intuitive airport that I have ever had the displeasure of navigating, the Heathrow security staff had no problems at all with my 2.0 mm metal dpns. Just don't try to bring any killer shampoo onto a plane!

I had a productive work week in Manchester and got to spend most of the weekend exploring on my own. I toured the City Centre, checked out the historic canals (birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, so they say), visited the John Rylands Library, and saw a very good local production of West Side Story at the Palace Theatre.

The Gothic-style John Rylands Library

Manchester Town Hall

Peter Street, in the City Centre

The architecture is quite nice in Manchester, and I really enjoyed the short visit. I didn't manage to make it to any of the museums and galleries on this trip, but it sounds as if I'll be spending quite a bit of time in the city in the months to come, so I'll save them for another time.

Life has not slowed down much around here. I'm still trying to dedicate evenings and weekends to the last round of thesis revisions, so I haven't had time for much knitting or anything fun really. I had to register for one last semester as a part-time student, but I am looking forward to a thesis defense later this fall. It will certainly be nice to have it all done and be able to have some guilt-free spare time!

I have not been keeping up very well in blog-land lately, but I'll re-emerge before Christmas, I'm certain. Thanks for bearing with me!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Please don't apologize to us about getting on with your thesis and education. Soon you will have more time and in the meantime we will await and wish you well!

1:23 p.m.  
Blogger Leanne said...

That's the great thing about travel - it gives you uninterrupted, guilt-free knitting time. I don't understand how people can sit there on long flights and do nothing. That would drive me crazy!

Lovely pics of Manchester. Will you be travelling to different places for your new job, or just there?

Found any knitting groups yet?

2:14 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Leanne, it looks like I'll also be seeing a bit of Calgary, and possibly London and Houston. And a bit of rural Newfoundland too from time to time.

I haven't had time to look for a knitting group yet, but when things calm down a bit, I'm going to check out the programs at the Anna Templeton Centre - we have a whole college dedicated to crafts and textiles!

4:29 p.m.  
Blogger Glenna C said...

Yay, glad you're still alive!
Keep at those revisions...I'm still at the 'get first draft done' stage and would love to be where you are.

6:38 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Kelly, it's just good to hear from you! Houston? seriously? It's still quite a ways from Tulsa (QUITE a ways) but hey, closer than Newfoundland!
It may be quite the pain right now but you'll have it done soon and we'll all be looking forward to you having more free time :^)

8:10 p.m.  
Blogger GEORGE ALAN FRAMPTON said...

Hi, Kelly. I just found your comment on my blogsite ... I've been in Vietnam for 3 months. Thank you. Your website is great. I hope your move was not as stressful as moves can be.

11:52 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home