Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Published!

At long last, my first freelance piece has been published. I'm pretty excited.

Three-finger trigger mitts, knit by Nick's grandmother, "Muddy".

It's an article about heritage knitting (specifically mittens) in Newfoundland. This has been my pet project for the last year or so. The publication is called Downhome Magazine, and it's basically a Newfoundland lifestyle periodical that is very popular, especially with people who have moved away from the province and want to stay connected. We loved getting our subscription when we lived in Ontario.

There's a short teaser (and one of my photos) on the Downhome Life website, and I know that the magazine is available across Canada at Chapters.

My first pair of Newfoundland mittens.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Congratulations Kelly! I followed the link and read the 'teaser', those mittens in the photo... thrummed? They look good and warm!

10:51 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Fantastic - that must be a great feeling! Many congratulations

4:41 a.m.  
Blogger Leanne said...

Awesome! Way to go, Kelly :-)

Will the whole article be available on their website, or am I going to have to hunt down a copy of the magazine to read it?

8:19 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Marianne: yes they're thrummed. It's a traditional technique that was common here, and has recently caught on elsewhere.

Leanne: it looks to me that they archive the full article on the website once the next month's edition comes out. I'll post an update if/when it becomes available.

9:05 a.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Belated congrats! I know how exciting that first publication is...may it be the first of many for you!

3:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Sherry said...

I came across your blog researching Nfld mittens. Congratulations on the birth of Stella. Take many, many pictures and enjoy her to bits!
I saw the mitts you knit in your blog and was wondering if you had come up with a pattern for three finger mitts? If you have and are willing to share, I would be very grateful! I'm trying to keep the famiy tradition alive in my generation. My grandmother knitted but my mother did not. I was in Nfld this past summer visiting my family and had no luck tracking down a family member who had a pattern. Enjoy Stella first, I can wait for a bit:)I'll keep checking back. Take care

9:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home