Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

What I've been doing while I haven't been blogging

Time is seriously flying this winter and I've been enjoying the feeling of being very busy but not stressed about it. It's been a fun kind of busy, mostly involving family events - baking birthday cakes (three in two weeks!), going to family dinners, attending several concerts (all involving different family members on stage - we're a rather musical bunch), and taking in a little of the great outdoors, with a smattering of volunteer work thrown in. Life is good. Nick and I took a little jaunt around Pippy Park (a campground right in the city) last weekend on snowshoes. It was a beautiful day. I've been wanting to get him on cross-country skis, but it rained a lot this week so the snow is not so great. Maybe next weekend. My knitting on Gatsby Girl was interrupted again for another birthday present. Nick actually picked up a copy of a KnitPicks catalogue that I had left lying around, and requested this scarf. He so rarely asks me to knit anything for him that of course I had to oblige. After a couple of minutes of squinting at the pattern, I had it figured out. Now why didn't I think of that - reversible cables!
I cast on 66 stitches, knit a couple of rows of 6X6 rib, and then proceeded to cable on the first (right side), and 6th ("wrong" side) rows in a 10-row repeat. Continued for about 7 feet, and cast off. It took three balls of Patons Classic Merino (the shade is called "new jeans", a little bluer than it looks in the photo above) for a pretty hefty scarf. If I were to do another of these for myself, I would make it a little narrower and a little shorter, but Nick thinks his is perfect - a nice warm scarf for chilly days.


So now I'm back to Gatsby Girl. I finished the first back/front piece, and am now plodding through the first sleeve. It's endless 1X1 ribbing on 3 mm needles. To be honest, it's starting to try my patience a little, but I have another cabled, lacy, beautiful front/back piece to look forward to. The second sleeve is going to be a killer on this one - I can see myself getting easily sidetracked.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Got to oblige those Mr requests - looks like a great scarf

4:20 p.m.  
Blogger Glenna C said...

Hi Kelly! Hi Nick! ::waves::
I'm glad you guys are having a good time. Snowshoeing looks like an awesome time. I can't wait to see Gatsby Girl when you're done.

8:34 a.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Beautiful scarf! Are those blue eyes peeking out over the scarf? they almost look to be the same blue :^)
Sounds like a LOT of fun going on!

1:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nick! *waves too*
It was great to read your update and I'm jealous of all the adventures you guys are having settling in to St. John's. Looks v. cozy in that scarf.

10:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home