Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

A wee break for mansocks

The realization hit yesterday that my dad's birthday is only a week away. He is notoriously hard to shop for, but he has always loved a good pair of socks.

Sweater knitting has been put on hold for a few days while I whip up a quick pair of mansocks. I'm not falling into the trap of eternal fine-gauge mansocks this time though! As he likes thick socks for his work boots, and I'm on a tight schedule, it's worsted weight this time around. A speedy 48-stitch sock in strictly utilitarian acrylic-wool blend. I would have liked to have used superwash wool, but couldn't find any on short notice (this is not a city where soft superwash merino grows on trees like it seems to do in places like Toronto!). And in this particular gift situation, hand-wash only socks would be a curiosity akin to having a bowl of fruit on display that is not meant to be eaten. Completely illogical.


This is the morning's progress while lounging in front of the TV. At this rate, I'll be done by Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm TOTALLY wishing you luck on this!
Cheers! Betseydoodle

5:19 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

What size needles? 4s or 5s? I love that heel!
A 48 stitch sock... they knit up FAST! :^)

7:15 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hope you made it; great colour.

10:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I stumbled across your blog through a Google search for a hedgehog intarsia pattern (my almost-three-year-old is mad for hedgehogs and I want to knit a sweater for her). I don't suppose you have any leads on one?

Lovely place you have here! And congratulations on completing your Ph.D.! (This is coming from someone who's been stuck in ABD-land for several years...)

4:00 p.m.  
Blogger Daniel said...

Hi there, Love the socks.. what kind of heel is that? It looks like little x's. Take care. Daniel

5:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home