Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Not So Much on the Road, but Knitting Anyway

I'm supposed to be in Toronto right now. I had some meetings to attend, and was planning to spend a little recreational knitterly time with Glenna and Martha. But alas, a snowstorm interrupted my plans, and my flight was canceled. Given the level of service that Air Canada has become known for around these parts, they were unable to reschedule me to fly within a reasonable period (i.e. before the date when I was supposed to return!), so I'm grounded at home. Too bad, as I was really looking forward to visiting the Purple Purl and also shopping for new hiking boots - the shopping options in St. John's are somewhat limited.

It hasn't been all bad though. I got to go snowshoeing yesterday in the aftermath of the storm - finally we have enough snow. Also, I've been attending those meetings by teleconference. I can't knit at when I'm there in person, but when I'm attending from my couch at home, there are no such limitations. I knit a whole sock yesterday, and nobody on the other end of the speakerphone knew any better.

Stripey socks, improvised pattern, 70 st in stockinette on 2.25 mm bamboo dpns.

I also seamed up my finished Trellis baby cardigan this week.

Trellis, knitted in Lion Brand Cotton Ease, on 4 mm and 4.5 mm circs.

My only change to this pattern was to knit the bands at the bottom and sleeves on a smaller needle size. Looking at photos on Ravelry, I noticed that a lot of people ended up with bigger, puckered moss stitch bands, and there's still a hint of that in mine, that I'm hoping a final blocking will take care of (I blocked the pieces once already, prior to seaming). I think the smaller needle size helped to reduce the puckering significantly. If I were to knit this again, I would do the fronts and back in one piece up to the armholes. There are a lot of bulky seams for such a small sweater, that could be reduced.

I rushed to get this finished because I was going to see the intended recipient in Toronto this weekend. I guess now I'll have to mail it. Just as soon as I get some buttons.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conference calls are so much better for stealth knitting anyway ;)

Bummer, though! We will simply have to try again.

9:02 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Bad luck about your trip but good work with the at home knitting.

I've not seen that toe up sock book either, be interesting to hear how you get on with it as my toe up attempts have been less than successful thus far.

2:08 a.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

So sorry you didn't make it to Toronto but teleconference meetings are surely the best when there's knitting involved ;^)
The Trellis cardi is beautiful, sweet, and I hope we get to see the wee one wearing it!

10:56 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home