Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Little Out of Season...

...but here it is nonetheless. My Christmas quilt:


This quilt was started more than two years ago, when I lived in Ottawa. It was meant to be a "scrap" quilt, and in fact other than the backing fabric, I made it entirely from leftover fabric in my quilting stash.


The pattern, "Scrappy Pines" is from Quilting for Dummies, the first quilt book I ever bought, and still a very handy reference.

There are many firsts for me in this project. It is my first quilt completed entirely by machine (I had previously machine pieced a few projects, but never quilted using the machine. I had to buy a couple of extra do-dads for the machine to expand its capabilities - a walking foot and a free-motion foot). It's also the first time I have done applique by machine, which proved to be a little tricky, but I think it's something that I'll get better at with time.


It is certainly not free from errors - oh there are a lot of them! - but the end result still looks pretty good to the untrained eye, and it will be nice to snuggle with on the couch come next December.

I have been on a bit of a roll with the quilting lately, trying to tackle some of my many half-finished projects. I should have at least one more, maybe two FOs within the next week or so. Stay tuned.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

I love scrap quilts and yours is fabulous!
Also... the photos from your holiday are stunning!
Good times! :^)

9:46 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kelly, This looks terrific! Thank you for sharing a project you made from my book. ~Cheryl Fall

6:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home