Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Friday, March 06, 2009

Coming together

The very astute Martha noticed the mitred squares blocking in the photo in my last post. This is something I've had on the go for a long time. It's going to be a baby blanket eventually.


I started it some time back, when there were several different amazing mitred square blankets showing up on blogs. For me, it was an answer for what to do with lots of leftovers of sock yarn (my frugal nature never lets me throw out even the smallest little ball!). It's neat that it reflects a history of most of the socks I have knit, with a few sock-yarn baby sweaters thrown in for good measure. I overdyed some of these yarns in my early experiments with Wilton cake dyes and Kool Aid (some of the greens and purples), and I've even picked apart variegated yarns to get some of the colour blocks!

Now with a 13th square completed, I'm beginning to wonder how big I'll want to go. I may try sewing it together at 16 sqaures, but I think ideally, it needs to be 20 or 25. But in the meantime, I've run out of interesting colours again, so I'll probably tuck this away again until I've finished a few more pairs of socks.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks darned cool. In the back of my mind I am totally planning a sock yarn blanket "for sometime" but of course have not started. Can't wait to see how yours comes along! Those mitered squares are so satisfying to look at.

7:02 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh I love how this looks, I'm not even letting myself think about one of these as I know I'd end up buying yarn for it :o)

2:45 a.m.  
Blogger Moncha said...

What a great idea to dye some of the yarn.Love it.

3:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home